Your partner in philanthropy. SEE advisor resources
Nonprofit Capacity Building
Supporting nonprofit leaders of color
Through dynamic professional development activities and executive coaching sessions, the Nonprofit Capacity Building programs helps nonprofit leaders of color strengthen their organization, expand their network, and amplify their impact in the community.
Up to 10 leaders will participate in a 10-month curriculum designed to unpack and uplift their unique experiences while also increasing their organizational and leadership capacity. Participants will receive a $5,000 grant for personal and organizational development.
The program operates with the understanding that nonprofit leaders are best suited to identify and address the needs of their organization. To support these efforts, we offer resources that include cohort-based peer learning, diverse coaches and facilitators, and personal and professional development coaching, as well as workshops on infrastructure, governance, and operations.
Program Requirements & Expectations
- NCB is for executive-level managers or equivalent positions who have high-level decision-making capacity.
- Leaders with emerging organizations in existence for one year or more are encouraged to apply.
- The program runs for 10 months, beginning each year in January. Program meetings are held one Friday on odd months (January, March, May, July, September). Individual coaching sessions are during the even months (February, April, June, August, October).
- Participants commit to preparing for and attending all sessions.
- This program requires 4-6 hours of outside reading and homework per month.
- NCB is a safe space for leaders to learn, express themselves, and discuss challenging topics. Confidentiality is unequivocal.
Applications will open again in Summer 2024.
Serving in a leadership role can be challenging. It encompasses working in close partnership with the board of directors to develop actionable strategies while inspiring internal staff to fulfill their organization’s mission.
Research shows the experience is even more difficult for people of color whose organizations are often under-resourced and underfunded.
Using findings from our program evaluations and based on our own racial equity journey, we updated our Nonprofit Capacity Building Program in 2019 to focus on engaging nonprofit leaders of color.
Past participants have seen measurable increases in capacity in many areas, including board leadership, overall strategy, fund development, mission and planning, and program design.
Other Ways Nonprofits Can Access Capacity Building Resources
The best way for a nonprofit to begin engaging with our capacity building resources is through our grant programs. These programs have several workshops and trainings built into them with opportunities to receive technical assistance and feedback on grant applications.