Omaha Venture Group
Local leaders engaging in grassroots giving
The Omaha Venture Group (OVG) is a giving circle facilitated by the Foundation whose members pool their charitable resources and learn about grassroots grantmaking. Founded in 2003, over 100 local nonprofits have received funds through OVG since its inception.
How It Works
The OVG season kicks off in late autumn with recruiting events and membership sign-ups. In early January, members start work on identifying, contacting, and meeting with eligible nonprofits, and discusses how their pooled funds can be allocated most effectively. At the end of spring, chosen nonprofits are awarded their grants during the celebratory Grant Night.
OVG utilizes a venture philanthropy model and is looking to support small and emerging nonprofits across the Omaha region. A total of nine grants are awarded every year in the three interest areas of youth, adult/senior, and community.
Member Fees and Benefits
Full membership at the Grantmaking Member level is $400, which is tax-deductible. Benefits include:
- Vote on funding recommendations
- Monthly social and education events
- Network with other young professionals who are passionate about philanthropy
- Connect with small and emerging nonprofits to learn about their work in greater Omaha
- Learn what it takes to be a great philanthropist, such as attending site visits and reviewing grant applications
- An invitation to celebrate at OVG’s Grant Night with grant recipients and fellow OVG members
- Opportunity for volunteer leadership positions on an annual basis
If you are interested in participating but are not ready for the full commitment, please consider joining as a Subscribing Member for $200 ($100 tax-deductible). Subscribing Members receive all the benefits of a full Grantmaking Member except for the ability to vote on funding recommendations. The ability to be a Subscribing Member last for one grant-making season.
*The Subscribing Membership is available to spouses of full Grantmaking Members indefinitely.