Donating crops is a timeless tradition that transcends generations – from giving what you could to neighbors, to growing Victory Gardens, to a modern approach of donating directly through your community foundation. It’s an embodiment of farm-life culture, stewarding the land and giving what you can to others.
When you decide to contribute a portion of your agricultural yield, you are literally sharing the fruits of your labor to make an impact in your community. Your donation can be used to support a nonprofit or cause close to your heart.
The Benefits of Serving the Community
- Simplicity: Just tell us how much you would like to donate, and we will send a letter to your grain elevator with instructions. They will send a check to be deposited in your Charitable Checkbook® or Donor Advised Fund.
- Tax Benefits: In many cases, there can be more than one tax advantage of donating agricultural assets rather than cash. Discuss with your tax professional to make sure this type of donation makes sense for your financial situation.
The Process of Donating Crops
- Harvest and Prepare: Harvest your crops when they are ready and ensure they are in good condition for donation. Proper handling and storage are crucial to maintain the quality of the crops.
- Reach out to us: Before taking your harvested crops to the elevator, call or email our OCF Donor Services team at email@example.com or 402-342-3458. After a conversation about your donation, we will send you documentation regarding the donation and where the harvested crops should be taken. OCF must be in control of the sale.
- Delivery: Deliver your crops to the designated location at the agreed-upon time. We will have already contacted the grain elevator to sell your crops and disperse the proceeds to OCF.
- Documentation: Keep records of your donation, including the type and quantity of crops donated. This documentation may be useful for tax purposes.
- Utilize your donation: We will deposit the proceeds into your fund. You will be able to use the value of the donation to support a local cause, your church, or any nonprofit that is important to you. We can work with you to make a greater impact with your dollars in a way that aligns best with your values and interests.
- Spread the Word: Encourage others in your community to join you in donating crops. The more people involved, the greater the impact you can make together.
Donating crops is a simple and effective way to give back and create a positive force within your community. It’s a reminder that even in the midst of our busy lives, we can make a meaningful difference by sharing the abundance you cultivated. So, the next time you find yourself with a surplus of corn, soybeans, or any other crop, consider donating it. In the act of giving, you connect with your larger community and support others through your hard work.