The Equality Fund for LGBTQIA+ has completed their third grant season, awarding $200,000 to ten nonprofit organizations. Established in the spring of 2018 all funding decisions made by a local committee representing the LGBTQIA+ community. The fund was established to and actively cultivates a community that supports, includes, and respects lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual, and non-binary individuals and families.
During this grant cycle, committee members increased their focus on specialized legal clinics and support in addition to elevating LGBTQIA+ art and culture. The 2020 funded organizations and projects are:
- ACLU Nebraska Foundation, Inc., $45,569 for a LGBTQIA+ community attorney
- Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts, $7,500 for Free Fall 49 Omaha performance
- Benson First Friday, $19,200 for LGBTQIAS+ inclusion initiatives in 2020
- Heartland Family Service, $30,000 for Affirming Care at HFS
- Legal Aid of Nebraska, $25,000 for Equal Justice for All
- Nebraska AIDS Project, $20,000 for target outreach
- Omaha Parents & Friends of Lesbians and Gays, Inc., $16,831 for PFLAG Omaha Latinx strategic plan
- Project Harmony, $10,900 for mental health for LGBTQIA+ youth
- River City Mixed Chorus, $5,000 for RCMC scholarship fund
- Union for Contemporary Art, $20,000 for 2020 PRIDE at The Union
To learn more about the Equality Fund for LGBTQIA+, click here. The next grant cycle for the fund will open on January 1, 2021.