The Harrison County Community Foundation awarded $86,700 to Harrison County nonprofit organizations and community projects during its Fall 2021 Grant Cycle. Including these most recent grants, the Harrison County Community Foundation has distributed over $3.6 million in grants and scholarships over the last 24 years.
The following organizations are Fall 2021 Grant Recipients:
- City of Modale – $9,500, Modale City Park Revitalization
- City of Pisgah – $8,338, Welcome and Safety Signs
- Dunlap Historical Society – $3,000, Brick Wall Repair
- Dunlap Park Board – $1,286, Pleasant View Park Kayak Launch
- Dunlap Police Department – $2,800, Watchguard Body Cameras
- Harrison County Conservation Board – $4,000, Exhibits Discovery Session
- Harrison County Genealogical Society – $2,450, Microfilm Reader Purchase
- Harrison County Humane Society of Iowa – $5,000. Guillotine Kennel Doors
- Harrison County Sheriff’s Department – $8,895. K-9 Community Outreach Program
- Missouri Valley Housing Corporation – $3,900, Accessible Outdoor Seating and Social Area
- Missouri Valley Park Board – $1,200, Restoration of Two Water Fountains
- Modale Fire Department – $10,100, Pager Upgrade
- Rand Community Center – $1,677, Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Southwest Iowa Fishing Team, Inc – $4,350, Fish Habitat Conservation Project
- The CREW Center – $7,000, Body Composition Analyzer
- West Central Community Action – $194, Food Pantry Utility Cart
- Woodbine Carnegie Public Library – $4,700, Children’s Library Furnishings Improvement
- Woodbine Main Street, Inc – $5,200, Restoration of Historic 1950s Caboose
- Woodbine Saddle Club, Inc. – $3,110, Security Lighting Replacement
All grantees met the criteria as Harrison County nonprofit agencies or organizations with charitable missions supporting community needs in the areas of civic engagement, culture, health, education, and social services. Only organizations providing services in Harrison County were eligible to apply.
These grant funds were made possible by the generosity of donors to the Harrison County Community Foundation and the following charitable funds through the community foundation: Kathryn Heistand Walpus Endowed Fund for Woodbine; Lloyd and Donna Leonard Endowed Fund; Missouri Valley Community Foundation Endowment Fund; Pisgah Community Endowed Fund; Wubbena C. Rand Endowed Fund; and Richard and Kathryn Randall Endowed Fund.
The Harrison County Community Foundation works with individuals, families, businesses, and organizations to create permanent and expendable funds—such as those above—that address changing, vital community needs and interests. To inquire about donating to the Harrison County Community Foundation, please contact the Community Foundations of Southwest Iowa staff or any board member listed below. Gifts to permanently endowed funds through the Harrison County Community Foundation may be eligible to receive a 25% Endow Iowa Tax Credit.
The Harrison County Community Foundation Advisory Board Members are Chair, Treva Block of Dunlap; Vice Chair, Mike Carson of Pisgah; Secretary/Treasurer, Barbara Oliver of Logan; Gordon Fliehe of Logan; Noel Sherer of Woodbine; Jay Smith of Missouri Valley; and Kerry Stueve of Missouri Valley.
For information about donating or establishing an individual foundation/fund, please contact Stacey Goodman, Iowa Foundations Director, at 800-794-3458 or firstname.lastname@example.org.